Study in India as a Nepali Student: My Real Experience
Leaving Nepal to study in India was one of the biggest transitions I had experienced in my life. I was leaving behind a familiar environment and starting a bachelor's degree in a country that was close to Nepal geographically, but still felt different in many ways.
Before I came to India, I had plenty of expectations. I thought about college, making friends, becoming independent, building a career and experiencing a new environment. At the same time, there was uncertainty. I did not know exactly what student life would feel like once I was actually living away from home.
My journey eventually took me to SVEC in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, where I completed my bachelor's degree. After graduation, my life changed again when I moved to Chennai for employment.
Looking back, studying in India was about much more than getting a degree. It taught me how to live independently, deal with unfamiliar situations, interact with different people, think about my career and take more responsibility for my own life.
This is my personal experience of studying in India as a Nepali student. I am not writing this to say that every Nepali student will have the same experience. Your university, city, finances, personality and goals can make your journey very different. I simply want to share what I learned from mine.
Why I Chose to Study in India
When I was deciding where to continue my education after school, India became one of the options I seriously considered. Coming from Nepal, India was not an entirely unfamiliar place. It was geographically close, and there was already some familiarity with the region and culture.
At that stage of my life, India felt like a practical place to look for higher education while also giving me the opportunity to experience life outside Nepal.
I was interested in getting a bachelor's degree, but I also wanted the experience that came with moving somewhere new. Going to another country meant I would have to adapt, meet different people and learn how to manage parts of my life independently.
India also offered exposure to a much larger education and employment environment. For someone thinking about a future career, that exposure mattered to me.
My decision was not based on one perfectly calculated formula. Like many students, I was trying to make the best decision I could with the information and priorities I had at that point in my life.
Today, after having actually lived and studied in India, I understand that choosing a country is only the beginning. The university, course, location, financial situation and your own willingness to learn can matter just as much.
Leaving Nepal and Starting a New Life in India
There is a difference between thinking about moving away from home and actually doing it.
When you are at home, independence can sound exciting. You imagine having more freedom, meeting new people and making your own decisions. But once you actually leave your familiar surroundings, you also realize that many small responsibilities now belong to you.
Coming from Nepal and starting my bachelor's degree in India meant adjusting to a different environment. I had to become comfortable with not always knowing how things worked and learn to adapt instead of expecting everything to feel familiar immediately.
There was excitement in starting a new chapter, but there was also uncertainty. Being away from family changes the way you think about everyday life. Things that once seemed simple can suddenly require planning.
Over time, though, those challenges became part of the learning process. I started becoming more comfortable with making decisions for myself and dealing with situations independently.
That was one of the first major lessons India gave me: moving away from home is not only a physical journey. It is also the beginning of becoming more responsible for yourself.
My Experience at SVEC in Tirupati
My bachelor's journey took me to SVEC in Tirupati. This became an important part of my life because college was not simply where I completed my education. It was also where I spent an important period of personal development.
Like most students, a significant part of college revolved around academics. There were classes, assignments, examinations, projects and the regular pressure of keeping up with academic responsibilities.
But college was not limited to what happened inside classrooms.
I also had to learn how to manage my time between academic responsibilities and everything else happening around me. There were friendships to build, responsibilities to handle and a completely different environment to understand.
One thing I gradually understood was that a bachelor's degree does not automatically prepare you for everything that comes after graduation. The classroom gives you an academic foundation, but your career requires additional preparation.
During my college years, I became increasingly aware of the importance of technical skills, projects, problem-solving ability and continuous learning. I started understanding that simply completing assignments or preparing for examinations was not enough if I wanted to become career-ready.
My college experience therefore became a combination of academics and learning how to prepare myself for life after college.
There were good moments, difficult moments, periods when I felt confident and periods when I questioned whether I was doing enough. That mixture is what made the experience real for me.
What College Life in India Was Really Like for Me
When people talk about studying abroad or studying in another country, they often focus on the university. But student life is much bigger than the classroom.
For me, college life in India involved learning how to live away from home and become increasingly independent.
Friendships became an important part of the experience. When you enter a new environment, you cannot assume that your social circle will appear immediately. You have to communicate with people, spend time with them and gradually build relationships.
I also learned to interact with people from different backgrounds. That experience helped me become more comfortable communicating with people who did not necessarily think or live exactly like I did.
Daily life was another part of the adjustment. Food, routines, travel, personal responsibilities and managing your own time can all feel different when you are living away from home.
There were also moments when I missed the familiarity of Nepal. Homesickness does not necessarily disappear just because you are excited about your new life.
At the same time, being away from home gave me something valuable: independence.
I had more opportunities to make my own decisions, experience the consequences of those decisions and figure things out on my own. That experience helped me grow in ways that a classroom alone could not.
The Biggest Challenges I Faced
My experience of studying in India was not perfect. In fact, some of the most valuable lessons came from the difficult parts.
Being Away From Home
One of the biggest adjustments was simply living away from the environment I had known for years.
When you are away from family, you cannot rely on the same level of familiarity and comfort. You have to learn to handle more things yourself.
That can be difficult emotionally, especially during stressful periods. But it can also make you stronger and more independent over time.
Adapting to a New Environment
Every place has its own rhythm. Moving to another part of India meant learning to adapt to a different environment rather than expecting everything to work exactly as it did back home.
I gradually learned that adaptation is an important skill for anyone studying away from home. You do not have to understand everything immediately. You just need to remain open to learning.
Managing Money
Money is another reality that students sometimes underestimate.
The cost of studying in India is not limited to tuition. Depending on the situation, students may have to think about accommodation, food, transportation, study materials, phone and internet expenses, personal spending and travel home.
My biggest lesson was that financial planning matters. Even relatively small expenses can become significant when they happen repeatedly.
Academics
College academics can become stressful when assignments, examinations and projects start accumulating.
I learned that consistency is much better than constantly trying to catch up. The same principle applies to learning technical skills. Waiting until you urgently need a skill can make the process much harder.
Building a Social Circle
Making friends in a new environment can take time. Not every person you meet will become a close friend, and that is completely normal.
I learned to value genuine connections rather than worrying about having a large social circle.
Career Pressure
Eventually, college stopped feeling like it was only about getting through the next semester.
I began thinking more seriously about skills, projects, internships, placements and what would happen after graduation.
That shift in thinking is important. A student can spend years studying without actively preparing for the kind of work they eventually want to do.
What I Learned Outside the Classroom
Some of the most important things I learned during my bachelor's degree were not necessarily taught in lectures.
Independence
Living away from home taught me that independence is not simply about freedom. It is about responsibility. You make decisions, deal with problems and learn from the results.
Communication
Meeting different people pushed me to become more comfortable communicating. Good communication is useful everywhere, whether you are talking to classmates, working on a project or eventually entering a workplace.
Time Management
College gives you more freedom than school, but that freedom can become a problem if you do not manage your time.
I gradually understood that nobody can constantly remind you what you should be doing. You have to take responsibility for your priorities.
Learning Beyond the Syllabus
One of the biggest lessons I took from college is that the syllabus should not be the limit of your learning.
For a technology career especially, skills change continuously. Building practical knowledge, working on projects and solving real problems can make a major difference.
I became more aware that learning should continue even when there is no examination forcing you to study.
If I had understood this earlier and followed it more consistently, I believe my college experience could have been even more productive.
My Recommended Student Resources
Over time, I have also collected things that I personally find useful for studying, learning, working and everyday life. I keep them organized in my Amazon storefront.
My store currently includes sections such as Useful Study Tools, Skincare, Self-Help Books, Gadgets and other useful recommendations.
Check out my Amazon Storefront →
Some links may be affiliate links. If you buy through them, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
How Studying in India Changed Me
If I compare myself before coming to India with the person I became after completing my bachelor's degree, I can see a gradual change.
Before India: I was preparing to enter a completely new stage of life and had many expectations about what the experience would be like.
During college: I had to adapt to a new environment, manage responsibilities, build relationships, study, develop skills and start thinking seriously about my future.
After graduation: I had a better understanding of independence, career preparation and the kind of future I wanted to work toward.
I would not say that studying in India completely transformed me overnight. Personal growth does not usually happen that way.
It happened through many ordinary experiences: solving problems, making decisions, learning new things, dealing with uncertainty and slowly becoming more comfortable with responsibility.
My confidence grew, but more importantly, my awareness grew. I became more conscious of what I wanted from my education and career.
From Student Life in Tirupati to Working in Chennai
Completing my bachelor's degree did not mean the journey was over. It simply moved into another stage.
After college, I moved to Chennai for employment.
The transition from student life in Tirupati to working life in Chennai was significant.
As a student, a large part of my attention was on classes, assignments, examinations, projects and learning. As a working professional, there are different responsibilities. You have workplace expectations, professional responsibilities, deadlines and the need to manage your life alongside your career.
There is also a different relationship with money once you start working. Earning your own income can give you independence, but it also makes you more aware of expenses and financial decisions.
Living in a major city like Chennai also introduced me to another side of life in India. The environment was different from my college experience, and I had to adapt again.
Looking back, I can see a connection between the two stages. College taught me how to become more independent, while working life required me to apply that independence in a professional environment.
The journey from Nepal to Tirupati and eventually Chennai was not something I could have fully understood when I first left home.
Was Studying in India Worth It for Me?
For me, yes, studying in India was valuable. But I would not describe it as perfect, and I would not say that India is automatically the right choice for every student.
What I gained was much broader than a bachelor's degree.
What I Gained
- An education and foundation for my career.
- Experience living away from home.
- Greater independence.
- Exposure to people with different backgrounds.
- Friendships and memories from college life.
- More awareness of career preparation.
- Personal growth through everyday responsibilities.
- A smoother transition into professional life.
What Was Difficult
- Being away from family and familiar surroundings.
- Adjusting to a new environment.
- Managing financial responsibilities.
- Handling academic pressure.
- Figuring out career preparation.
- Dealing with uncertainty about the future.
For me, the experience was valuable because it gave me an opportunity to grow while completing my education. But another student could reach a different conclusion depending on their university, finances, expectations and goals.
What I Would Do Differently If I Started Again
If I could go back to the beginning of my bachelor's journey, I would approach some things differently.
I would start career preparation earlier. College can feel long when you first enter it, but graduation arrives much faster than you expect.
I would also put more emphasis on consistent technical learning. Learning a skill only when an assignment, examination or job requirement appears is not the same as developing a skill consistently over time.
I would work on more practical projects and focus on understanding how what I learned could be applied outside the classroom.
I would also prioritize communication earlier. Technical knowledge matters, but being able to explain your ideas, work with people and communicate professionally matters too.
Another thing I would improve is financial awareness. Understanding where your money goes and planning expenses can reduce unnecessary stress.
Most importantly, I would remind myself not to compare my journey with everyone else's. Students develop at different speeds and have different opportunities.
My Advice to Nepali Students Planning to Study in India
If you are considering studying in India from Nepal, I would suggest thinking about the decision beyond the university name.
Before Leaving Nepal
- Research the university carefully rather than relying only on advertisements.
- Understand the complete expected cost of studying and living.
- Research accommodation and the surrounding area.
- Understand the admission requirements directly from reliable sources.
- Talk to current or former students if possible.
- Think about what happens if your original financial plan does not work.
- Consider the location and whether it suits your academic and career goals.
After Arriving
- Give yourself time to adjust.
- Focus on your academics initially.
- Make genuine friendships.
- Learn to manage your money.
- Explore your environment responsibly.
- Develop communication skills.
- Start thinking about your career earlier than you think you need to.
During College
- Do not depend only on the syllabus.
- Build practical skills related to your career goals.
- Work on meaningful projects.
- Learn technologies and tools relevant to your field.
- Look for internship and practical learning opportunities.
- Prepare for jobs before your final year arrives.
- Build professional connections naturally.
- Maintain your academic performance while developing practical skills.
If you are entering a technology field, I would strongly recommend building a consistent learning routine. My own experience has made me realize how much easier career preparation becomes when you start early.
For example, learning consistently is something I now value much more than studying intensely for a short period. You can read more about that approach in How to Learn Programming Consistently.
How Much Does It Cost to Study in India?
There is no single answer to the question of how much it costs to study in India.
The total cost can vary significantly depending on the university, course, city, accommodation, lifestyle and personal spending habits.
A student should think about several categories before making a decision:
| Expense Category | What to Consider |
|---|---|
| Tuition | University and program-related education costs |
| Accommodation | Hostel, shared accommodation or other housing |
| Food | Mess, hostel food, cooking or outside meals |
| Transportation | Daily travel and occasional longer-distance travel |
| Study Materials | Books, equipment, software or other academic requirements |
| Phone and Internet | Mobile and connectivity expenses |
| Personal Expenses | Clothing, entertainment and other everyday spending |
| Travel Home | Trips between India and Nepal when required |
I would not recommend deciding whether India is affordable simply by looking at tuition fees. The complete cost of living matters too.
Before leaving Nepal, I would create a realistic monthly budget and keep some emergency money separate from normal spending.
India vs. Studying Abroad — How I See It Now
My view of higher education has changed as I have gained more experience.
After studying in India and then entering professional life in Chennai, I have started thinking more seriously about future education. I am interested in the possibility of pursuing higher education abroad, potentially including a master's degree and eventually a PhD.
At the same time, I care strongly about funding. I do not want my parents to carry an unnecessary financial burden simply because I want to study somewhere else.
That is why I now look at studying abroad differently from how I might have looked at it when I was younger.
I do not think studying abroad automatically means better education. A funded opportunity at a strong university can be very different from paying a large amount of money simply to obtain a foreign degree.
For me, future decisions will depend on factors such as the university, program, funding, research opportunities, career prospects, country and long-term goals.
My experience in India has actually made me more careful about making future education decisions. I understand now that the destination alone is not the goal. The opportunity has to make sense.
Is India a Good Choice for Nepali Students?
I believe India can be a good option for some Nepali students, but the answer depends heavily on the individual.
Potential Advantages
- India is geographically close to Nepal.
- There are many educational institutions and academic options.
- Students can experience a large and diverse environment.
- There can be cultural familiarity in many areas.
- India has a large employment market.
- It can provide international exposure without requiring a very distant move from Nepal.
Potential Challenges
- The quality of universities and programs varies.
- Living costs can differ greatly between cities.
- Students need to research institutions carefully.
- Moving away from home can be emotionally challenging.
- Career outcomes depend heavily on skills, preparation and the institution you choose.
So I would not tell every Nepali student, "Go to India." I would instead say: research your specific opportunity and decide whether it fits your goals.
My Biggest Lessons From Studying in India
- Leaving home teaches independence. You learn to make decisions when familiar support is no longer immediately available.
- A degree alone is not enough for many careers. Education gives you a foundation, but practical skills and preparation matter too.
- Skills have to be developed continuously. Learning should not stop when an examination ends.
- Your friends can influence your growth. The people around you can affect your mindset, habits and ambitions.
- Money management matters. Financial stress can affect student life, so planning is important.
- Failure is part of learning. Not everything will go according to plan, and that does not mean the entire journey has failed.
- Career preparation should start early. Waiting until graduation can make the transition into employment more stressful.
- You should not compare your journey with everyone else's. Students have different backgrounds, resources, abilities and opportunities.
- Asking for help is not weakness. Independence does not mean refusing help. It means knowing when you need it and taking responsibility for finding a solution.
- Education is also about becoming independent. The most valuable part of my journey was not only what I learned academically, but also the person I gradually became.
These lessons are also connected to the transition from college into employment. If you are preparing for your first professional role, you may also find How to Prepare for Your First IT Job useful.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is India a good place for Nepali students?
It can be, depending on the university, program, location, finances and career goals. My experience in India was valuable, but students should research their specific institution rather than assuming every experience will be the same.
2. Can Nepali students study in Indian universities?
Nepali students can pursue education in India, but specific admission requirements and procedures can vary by institution and program. Students should always verify the current requirements directly with the university they are considering.
3. What is student life like in India?
Student life can include academics, friendships, projects, travel, personal responsibilities and learning to live independently. My experience included both enjoyable moments and challenges, particularly around adapting to life away from home.
4. Is studying in India difficult for Nepali students?
It can be challenging, particularly during the initial adjustment period. However, difficulty depends on the individual, university, city and circumstances. Being open to adapting can make the transition easier.
5. How should I choose an Indian university?
Look beyond the name. Consider the program, curriculum, faculty, academic environment, location, total cost, facilities, opportunities for practical learning and career outcomes. Speaking with current or former students can also provide useful perspective.
6. How much money should I plan for when studying in India?
There is no universal amount. You should account for tuition, accommodation, food, transportation, study materials, phone and internet, personal expenses and travel. The amount can vary substantially depending on your university and city.
7. Should I choose India or another foreign country for higher education?
There is no universal answer. Compare the actual opportunities rather than simply comparing countries. Look at university quality, program fit, funding, research opportunities, career prospects and your long-term goals.
8. Is studying in India worth it?
For me, it was worth it because I gained an education, independence, exposure and valuable life experience. But whether it is worth it for you depends on the specific opportunity you choose.
9. What should Nepali students know before moving to India?
They should understand the university, accommodation, expected expenses, academic requirements and career opportunities before leaving Nepal. They should also be mentally prepared for the experience of living away from home.
10. How can students prepare for jobs while studying in India?
Start earlier than you think you need to. Build relevant technical skills, work on projects, improve communication, understand the requirements of your target career and look for practical experience. Do not wait until graduation to begin thinking about employment.
Final Thoughts — What India Gave Me
When I think about my journey now, I see more than a simple education path.
I started in Nepal, left home to pursue my bachelor's degree in India, spent an important part of my student life at SVEC in Tirupati, completed my bachelor's degree and eventually moved to Chennai for employment.
Each stage taught me something different.
College gave me an academic foundation, but living away from home taught me independence. Meeting different people taught me how to adapt. Challenges taught me to solve problems. Career preparation taught me that a degree is only one part of professional development.
Moving into working life in Chennai gave me another perspective. Suddenly, the things I had learned about independence and responsibility were no longer just lessons from student life. They became part of everyday life.
My journey has also changed how I think about the future. I am now more seriously considering higher education, scholarships and potentially pursuing a PhD and building a career internationally. I do not know exactly where that path will take me yet, and I do not want to pretend that everything is already decided.
That uncertainty is actually one of the things I have learned to accept.
Studying in India did not give me a perfectly planned life. It gave me experience. It gave me opportunities to learn, make decisions, adapt and understand myself better.
If you are a student from Nepal thinking about studying in India, my biggest advice is simple: do your research, understand your finances, choose your institution carefully and be prepared to take responsibility for your own growth.
And remember that your education does not end with your degree. Your skills, habits, relationships, experiences and decisions outside the classroom can shape your future just as much.
This was my experience of going from Nepal to India, from student life in Tirupati to working life in Chennai. Your journey may look completely different, but I hope sharing mine helps you make a more informed decision about yours.
If you are already thinking about life after graduation, you may also want to read How to Handle Your First Salary and How to Choose the Right Career After College.
My Recommended Picks
I've created an Amazon storefront where I keep different categories of things I recommend or find useful, including resources related to student life, learning and everyday life.
- Useful Study Tools — things that can make studying and working more comfortable.
- Self-Help Books — books related to personal growth, habits, productivity and mindset.
- Gadgets — useful technology and accessories for students and young professionals.
- Skincare — products I personally keep in my recommendations.
- More Recommendations — other useful products and resources I add over time.
Affiliate disclosure: Some links may be affiliate links. I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links in this article may be affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Comments
Post a Comment
If you have any suggestions then comment me .