Skip to main content

Learn how to balance your job, gym, learning and personal life with a realistic weekly routine, time management tips, and burnout prevention.

How to Balance Your Job, Gym, Learning and Personal Life Balancing a full-time job, gym, learning, family, friends, hobbies, and enough sleep can feel almost impossible. You may finish work feeling mentally exhausted, yet still have a workout to complete, a course to study, messages to answer, and personal responsibilities waiting for you. This becomes especially challenging for freshers and young IT professionals. A typical day can include long working hours, commuting, meetings, deadlines, household responsibilities, and screen time before you even think about personal development. The solution is not to squeeze more activities into every available minute. A sustainable routine comes from deciding what matters most, giving different priorities their own time, and accepting that some days will be more productive than others. You do not need to achieve perfect balance every single day. Instead, aim to create a balanced week where work, health, learning, relationships, rest, an...

My honest first week in India after moving from Nepal—food, weather, traffic, language, culture, student life, and the biggest lessons I learned.

My First Week in India: Expectations vs. Reality

Moving to another country sounds exciting when you're planning it from home.

You imagine the new places you'll see, the food you'll try, the people you'll meet, and all the experiences waiting for you. But once you actually arrive, the reality is very different from what you imagined.

For me, coming to India from Nepal was exactly that kind of experience.

I had already heard a lot about India before arriving. I had watched videos, read about different cities, heard stories from other people, and created my own picture of what life would be like.

But my first week in India taught me something important: you can research a place for months, but living there for even a few days can teach you things that no article or video can.

From food and weather to traffic, language, people, and everyday life, some things were exactly what I expected while others were completely different.

So, if you're curious about what it is really like to move to India as a student or young person from another country, here is my personal experience of my first week in India.

Why I Came to India

My journey to India wasn't simply a vacation.

I came to India for my education, which meant that this wasn't going to be a short visit. I was entering a completely new phase of my life in a country that was familiar in some ways but still very different from Nepal.

That made the experience more exciting—and also a little scary.

I had questions running through my mind before arriving:

  • Will I be able to adjust to the food?
  • How will I communicate with people?
  • Will I feel comfortable in a new environment?
  • What will college life be like?
  • How different will everyday life actually be?
  • Will I miss home?

I didn't have answers to most of these questions when I arrived.

I just knew that I had taken a big step away from home and that the next few days were going to be a completely new experience.

What I Expected Before Coming to India

Like most people, I had already formed an image of India before experiencing it personally.

Some of those expectations came from movies and social media. Others came from what I had heard from people who had already visited or lived here.

Here are some of the biggest things I expected.

1. I Expected India to Be Extremely Hot

One of my first expectations was the weather.

I knew India was generally known for its warm climate, so I expected to experience intense heat immediately after arriving.

I imagined that every day would be hot and uncomfortable and that adjusting to the weather would be one of my biggest challenges.

2. I Expected Everything to Be Very Spicy

Indian food has a worldwide reputation for being flavorful and spicy, so I was mentally prepared for that.

Coming from Nepal, I was already familiar with South Asian food, but I still expected Indian food to be noticeably different.

I was particularly curious about how much the food would vary between regions.

3. I Expected India to Be Extremely Crowded

This expectation turned out to be partly true.

Before coming here, I imagined busy roads, lots of people, traffic, vehicles, shops, noise, and constant movement.

Whenever I saw videos of Indian cities online, they often looked incredibly energetic and crowded.

So I was prepared for a completely different pace of life.

4. I Expected a Major Language Challenge

India has an incredible number of languages, and I knew that the language spoken in one state could be completely different from another.

Because I was coming from Nepal, I wondered how easy it would be to communicate with people in everyday situations.

I knew English would help, especially in an educational environment, but I wasn't sure how much I would depend on it outside campus.

5. I Expected Every Day to Feel Like a Cultural Experience

I had this idea that living in India would mean constantly seeing festivals, traditional clothes, celebrations, temples, food, music, and cultural activities.

In reality, everyday life turned out to be much more normal than that.

And that was one of the first things I learned.

My First Week in India: What Reality Actually Felt Like

1. The Weather Was Different From What I Imagined

The weather wasn't exactly what I had pictured.

Of course, India has many different climates because the country is enormous. The weather I experienced depended heavily on where I was staying.

There were warm days, but there were also moments that felt more comfortable than I expected.

One thing I quickly understood was that you can't really describe "Indian weather" with one simple statement. The experience can be completely different depending on the state, city, season, and even time of day.

Coming from Nepal, I had to pay more attention to how the local weather actually behaved instead of relying on my assumptions.

2. Indian Food Was More Diverse Than I Expected

This was probably one of the most interesting parts of the experience.

I expected Indian food to simply mean spicy food.

But after arriving, I started realizing how enormous India's food culture actually is.

South Indian food, North Indian food, snacks, street food, sweets, rice-based meals, breads, curries—the variety was much greater than the simplified version I had imagined.

And since I eventually spent time in South India, I got to experience food that was quite different from what I was used to back home.

Some dishes immediately felt familiar because of the similarities between Nepal and India, while others were completely new to me.

My biggest lesson was simple: don't judge an entire country's food culture based on one stereotype.

3. The Traffic Was Exactly as Crazy as I Expected

This one was probably the least surprising.

Indian roads can be incredibly busy.

Vehicles, buses, bikes, autos, pedestrians, horns, turns, traffic signals—it can feel like there is a completely different rhythm to the roads.

At first, I found it overwhelming.

But after watching people navigate it every day, I started understanding that what initially looked chaotic actually had its own system.

You gradually learn when to cross the road, how traffic moves, where vehicles are likely to appear from, and how people communicate with each other without saying much.

It was definitely an adjustment.

4. The Language Situation Was More Interesting Than Difficult

I expected language to become a major problem.

Instead, I discovered that communication in India is often much more flexible than I had imagined.

Depending on the place, people may use English, Hindi, a regional language, or a mixture of several languages.

As I spent more time around people, I also started picking up small words and phrases from the local environment.

You don't need to become fluent immediately. Even learning a few commonly used words can make everyday interactions easier and help you feel more connected to the place you're living in.

5. Everyday Life Was Surprisingly Normal

This was probably one of my biggest realizations.

Before arriving, I imagined India as a constant cultural spectacle.

But once I actually started living here, most days were simply normal days.

People woke up, went to college or work, travelled, ate, studied, went shopping, met friends, came home, and repeated the routine.

Festivals and cultural celebrations are important, but they are not happening every minute of everyday life.

That sounds obvious now, but it was something I understood only after experiencing it personally.

The Biggest Difference: Visiting Somewhere vs. Living There

My first week also taught me the difference between visiting a country and actually living there.

When you're a tourist, you usually focus on the exciting parts.

You visit popular places, try interesting food, take photographs, and return to your accommodation.

When you live somewhere, you have to deal with the ordinary things too.

  • Finding affordable food
  • Understanding transportation
  • Managing money
  • Getting used to your surroundings
  • Meeting new people
  • Understanding local habits
  • Managing college responsibilities
  • Missing your family

Those ordinary experiences are what actually teach you how a place works.

What Surprised Me Most About India

The biggest surprise wasn't one particular food, place, or cultural difference.

It was the sheer variety.

India doesn't feel like one single experience.

The food changes. The language changes. The climate changes. The architecture changes. The way people communicate changes. Even the pace of life can change from one city to another.

That made my first week feel less like arriving in one new place and more like opening the door to a much bigger experience.

Things I Learned During My First Week in India

1. Don't Arrive With Too Many Assumptions

Research is useful, but it can also create expectations that don't match reality.

Before coming to India, I had already created a picture in my head of what life would be like.

Some of it was accurate.

Some of it wasn't.

That's completely normal.

The best approach is to arrive with some knowledge but leave enough room to experience things yourself.

2. Give Yourself Time to Adjust

If you're moving to another country for college, work, or any other reason, don't expect to feel comfortable immediately.

Your first few days may feel strange.

You may miss home. You may not understand everything around you. You may feel tired from travelling and overwhelmed by new routines.

That doesn't mean you've made the wrong decision.

It simply means you're adjusting.

3. Try Things Instead of Comparing Everything

One mistake I could have made was constantly comparing India with Nepal.

Some things were better in one place. Some things were better in another. Some things were simply different.

Instead of asking, "Why isn't it like home?" I slowly started asking, "Why is it done this way here?"

That small change in thinking made adapting much easier.

4. Talk to People

If you're new to a country, people can teach you things that Google cannot.

Talk to classmates, roommates, neighbours, shopkeepers, and other students.

Ask questions.

Most people understand when you're new somewhere, and these small conversations can help you learn how everyday life works.

5. Keep Some Connection With Home

Moving away doesn't mean you have to disconnect from where you came from.

I still valued the familiar things from Nepal—food, people, memories, language, and conversations with family.

At the same time, I was building a new routine in India.

You don't have to choose between your old identity and your new environment. You can carry parts of home with you while still becoming comfortable somewhere new.

Was My First Week in India Difficult?

Yes, in some ways.

Moving to a new country is never completely effortless.

There were unfamiliar situations, new routines, different surroundings, and moments when I missed the comfort of home.

But it was also exciting.

Every day gave me something new to notice.

And that combination of uncertainty and curiosity is probably what made the first week memorable.

Would I Recommend Moving to India as a Student?

If you're considering coming to India for education, I would say: come with an open mind.

Don't expect everything to be exactly like the videos you've watched or the stories you've heard.

At the same time, don't arrive expecting everything to be difficult either.

You'll probably experience both good and challenging moments.

Give yourself time to adjust, explore beyond your campus, talk to people, try local food, learn about the culture, and allow yourself to be surprised.

My Biggest Takeaway From the First Week

If I had to summarize my first week in India in one sentence, it would be this:

India wasn't exactly what I expected—and that's what made the experience interesting.

I arrived with assumptions about the weather, food, traffic, language, and culture.

Some expectations were right. Others were completely wrong.

But the biggest lesson was that you understand a place properly only after you start living in it.

My first week was only the beginning. There were still many cities to see, people to meet, foods to try, experiences to have, and lessons to learn.

Final Thoughts: From Nepal to a New Life in India

Looking back, my first week in India feels like the beginning of a much bigger chapter of my life.

I came from Nepal with expectations, curiosity, and plenty of questions. India didn't give me a perfectly predictable experience—and honestly, I'm glad it didn't.

Living away from home teaches you things that aren't part of a classroom syllabus.

You learn how to adjust, how to communicate, how to manage yourself, how to deal with unfamiliar situations, and how to become more independent.

There will be moments when you miss home. There will also be moments when you realize that you've started creating a new home somewhere else.

That was the real lesson of my first week in India.

You don't have to know exactly what your new life will look like before you begin it. Sometimes, you just have to arrive, experience it, and learn along the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What was your first impression of India?

My first impression was a mixture of excitement and adjustment. India felt familiar in some ways because of the cultural similarities with Nepal, but everyday life, food, language, traffic, and the overall scale of the country were still new to me.

2. Was moving from Nepal to India difficult?

There was definitely an adjustment period. The biggest challenge wasn't one particular thing but getting comfortable with a new environment, routine, people, and way of life.

3. What surprised you most about India?

The biggest surprise was the diversity. India doesn't feel like one single culture or experience. Food, languages, climate, traditions, and everyday life can change significantly from one region to another.

4. Was Indian food very spicy?

Some Indian food is certainly spicy, but I quickly learned that Indian cuisine is much more diverse than that. Different regions have completely different flavors, ingredients, and cooking styles.

5. Did you face language problems in India?

Language can be different depending on the region, but English and other commonly understood languages can make many situations easier. I also found that learning a few local words helps with everyday communication.

6. What did you learn from your first week in India?

I learned to be less dependent on assumptions, give myself time to adjust, communicate with people, and experience a new place instead of constantly comparing it with home.

Read More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Distribution Problem

Chocolate Distribution Problem Given an array  arr[]  of positive integers, where each value represents the number of chocolates in a packet. Each packet can have a variable number of chocolates. There are  m  students, the task is to distribute chocolate packets among  m  students such that -       i. Each student gets  exactly  one packet.      ii. The difference between maximum number of chocolates given to a student and minimum number of chocolates given to a student is minimum and return that minimum possible difference. Examples: Input: arr = [3, 4, 1, 9, 56, 7, 9, 12], m = 5 Output: 6 Explanation: The minimum difference between maximum chocolates and minimum chocolates is 9 - 3 = 6 by choosing following m packets :[3, 4, 9, 7, 9]. Input: arr = [7, 3, 2, 4, 9, 12, 56], m = 3 Output: 2 Explanation: The minimum difference between maximum chocolates and minimum chocolates is 4 - 2 = 2 by choosing following m packe...

Learn how to improve communication skills as a student or fresher with practical tips for speaking clearly, active listening, interviews, presentations, and workplace communication.

How to Improve Communication Skills as a Student or Fresher How to Improve Communication Skills as a Student or Fresher You can have good technical skills, a strong resume and impressive projects, but if you struggle to communicate your ideas, it can hold you back in college, interviews and your first corporate job. The good news is that communication is a skill you can improve . You don't need perfect English, a huge vocabulary or a naturally confident personality. You simply need regular practice and a willingness to improve. In this guide, I'll share practical ways to improve your communication skills , especially if you're a student, fresher or someone starting their first job. Why Are Communication Skills Important? Communication affects much more than just speaking English. It includes how you listen, explain ideas, write messages, ask questions, respond to feedback and co...